Search This Blog

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Comment from "Anonymous" to the post on Classic Theatre

Nat: And I was extremely pleased and proud that Joan did such an extraordinary work in producing this series, the likes of which we will never see again.

I was Director of the NEH Media Program which provided principle funding for this series.
When I was testifying before our Congressional Funding Committee, I was asked by the Chair if we could increase the viewership of the series to double what it had been. I replied,with more deference than usual for me, that that should not be our concern. As it turned out, I stated, more people saw these plays through Classic Theatre than probably saw them as live productions since they were written.
Again, those were heady and stimulating times where very little if any programming on public broadcasting emulated a psychiatrists couch as now seems to be all too much the case on cable.
Joan and many others such as Rick Hauser, Phil Collier, and the ever inventive Mike Ambrosino and Fred Barzack were so very far ahead of anyones' time.

received: September 22, 2010 5:08 PM

No comments: