Search This Blog

Sunday, July 25, 2010

WGBH Radio Drama Development Project

Beginning in 1967, the year I joined WGBH Radio (then WGBH-FM), Joan Wilson Sullivan and Lyon Todd headed an ambitious project resulting in 13 stereo radio dramas, published in an LP  boxed set, and distributed to "eductional" radio stations around the country. As I recall, we had NEA/NEH support.  I came on board as a part-time, assistant engineer to the project; senior engineers were Bill Busiek and Bob Carey. Later, WGBH sent me to WHA in Madison, Wisconsin, and a two-week radio production workshop, led by the then chief of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, Desmond Briscoe. Those were heady days. This 2:57 audio excerpt (off LP) is from a radio play by F.W. Willis, about whom I remember nothing.  But the technique, the ensemble, and the audio quality generally were remarkable for a fledgling ensemble.
Introduced by Lyon Todd (click to play)

No comments: